DASH is an AMAZING learning experience for our students! It has been in our schools for over 20 years and it truly teaches children about diversity and the importance of supporting all of our community members in an inclusive manner. The parents that run this program have always impressed me with how well they have connected with our students to help them develop empathy and understanding for people living with disabilities.
As your child’s school principal, I ask that you take a moment to read the letter below and consider volunteering your time for this vital educational experience in our school.
Thank you so much!
Kathryn Castonguay, Principal
Dear Parents and Guardians,
Thank you to all who participated in the 2017-2018 DASH programs. Having completed it’s 23rd year, the importance of DASH – to increase the empathy and understanding of those with disabilities – is as great today as the day it started. Unfortunately, we are at risk across the Tri-Town of not being able to bring the curriculum to each grade unless we can replace the Board seats of those who will be stepping down at the end of this school year.
Available positions, with basic descriptions, are as follows:
- Topsfield Director – manages executive duties with Boxford and Middleton Directors, including scheduling of meetings, DASH dates, classroom day/times, etc. This position does come with a stipend.
- Board Liasons – becomes expert in Grade level curriculum (see below for Grades available and the corresponding disability), readies classroom materials, trains Unit Leaders (parent volunteers who teach the curriculum in the class), is available to help volunteer in classroom if needed.
- Grade 1 (Boxford) – Similarities and Differences
- Grade 2 (Boxford) – Visual Impairments
- Grade 3 (Topsfield, Boxford, and Middleton) – Hearing Impairments
- Grade 4 (Topsfield and Boxford) – Invisible Disabilities
- Grade 5 (Middleton) – Physical Disabilities
- Secretary – takes meeting minutes (approx. 4 board meetings per school year), oversees marketing and social media, manages approval and distribution of backpack flyers, schedules training dates, creates Sign-Up accounts to manage volunteers. Most of this job can be done at home.
If you have any interest in learning more, or volunteering for any of these positions, please contact Gretchen Fishman (Boxford Director) at Gretchen_fishman@yahoo.com or Jacki Dubois (Middleton Director) at email@example.com with your town and area of interest.
Thank you for your consideration,